Dental cavities are the one of most common dental problems. According to a report by the Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 25.9% of adults aged 20-44 have an untreated dental cavity. At Perfect Smiles Dental, we use time-tested dental fillings as a treatment for dental cavities.
- Most people will have a dental cavity at some point in their life and will need a cavity filling.
- If left untreated, your tooth decay will continue to worsen.
- The purpose of a cavity filling is to help restore a decayed tooth and prevent it from further damage.
- At Perfect Smiles Dental, we offer our patients tooth-colored fillings to help restore their most natural-looking smile.
- For tooth-colored fillings, we use a wide range of materials: from resin to porcelain. However, the materials used for dental fillings will depend on the tooth’s location and severity of the decay or damage.
Generally, tooth decay occurs when food particles are trapped on or between the teeth even after brushing and flossing.
- The plaque, the layer of bacteria on your teeth, generates acid that starts to eat away at the tooth enamel. This slowly creates a hole in the teeth, resulting in a cavity.
- If left untreated, the hole can grow bigger causing pain and destruction of the teeth.
Here are some signs of tooth decay:
- A constant toothache
- Tooth sensitivity
- Dark spots on teeth
- Visible holes in the teeth
- Slight pain while chewing and biting
Types of Tooth Fillings
There are two broad types of tooth fillings: Amalgam fillings and tooth-colored fillings. Both types of fillings have their own pros and cons.
1. Amalgam Filling
Amalgam fillings, also known as metal fillings, can help repair a decayed, cracked, damaged, or fractured tooth.
- Anesthesia will be administered so the procedure is comfortable and pain free.
- The dentist will remove the decayed part of the tooth and fill the area with a silver filling.
- Amalgam fillings are generally used in the back teeth so the metal portion cannot be seen in your smile. They are usually used if moisture control is difficult in the area of decay.
- Amalgam fillings are durable but are seldom used nowadays.
2. Composite Fillings
Composite fillings, also known as tooth-colored fillings, are another method of tooth filling.
- Similar to amalgam fillings, composite fillings are used to repair decayed, cracked, damaged, or fractured teeth.
- The filling process is similar to an amalgam filling but is bonded to the enamel/dentin of the tooth.
- A composite filling is typically the preferred filling type as the color of the filling can be matched to your natural tooth color, so they are not noticeable in your smile.
What to Expect From Our Dental Cavity Treatment
At Perfect Smiles Dental, our dentists are experienced with dental cavity treatments. We have the right tools and equipment to resolve your tooth issues. At Perfect Smiles, the process of fixing your dental cavity will be comfortable and stress free. We will work with your preferences to create the best tooth-filling option for you. Additionally, we also provide our clients with complete dental cleanings to help restore the beauty of a healthy smile.
For dental cleanings and dental cavity treatment, book your appointment or call (434) 799-0120.