With 2020 just around the corner, a brighter smile may be just the right gift to give yourself for the New Year. Professional teeth whitening from Perfect Smiles Dental isn’t a complicated process, but it does require expertise for best results. Our team has the knowledge and experience to complete the process in about 60 to 90 minutes for qualified patients.
Are You an Ideal Candidate for Professional Teeth Whitening?
We recommend professional teeth whitening to interested patients who have:
- Excellent oral health
- Their permanent teeth
- Stubborn or yellow-colored stains
- No dental work on their front teeth such as fillings, crowns, or caps
If you have healthy teeth and gums, we’ll talk with you about our process.
The Standard Steps for In-Office Teeth Whitening
The team at Perfect Smiles Dental in Danville, VA, will adjust the teeth whitening process to fit each patient’s individualized condition. In general, however, we follow these steps:
- We record the current color of your teeth.
- Our team polishes your teeth to remove surface plaque.
- We insert gauze and retractors into your mouth to isolate your cheeks, lips, and tongue from the whitening solution.
- We put an additional barrier along your gum line to protect it.
- Our staff applies a whitening solution to the front of your teeth. This solution includes peroxide as the primary bleaching ingredient.
- A curing light or laser shone on your teeth will activate the process.
- We leave the solution on your teeth for 30 to 60 minutes.
- If necessary, we may reapply the whitening liquid to reach the optimum whitening level (or maximum time).
- We rinse your teeth and may apply fluoride to minimize tooth sensitivity.
- We’ll take photos of the results to show the improvement in your smile.
Because your smile and the color and condition of the enamel on your teeth is unique, the results of in-office teeth whitening will vary, too. We’ll talk with you about what to expect for your smile and decide if further treatment makes sense.
If you have sensitive gums or a receding gum line, professional teeth whitening treatments may be too harsh for you. The whitening process doesn’t work well with some tooth restorations and may not be useful if you have brown or grey stains.
Fortunately, alternatives exist to professional bleaching that help us address most types of tooth discoloration.
Whitening Your Smile: Alternatives to Professional Bleaching
For patients with minor discoloration on their teeth, we recommend scheduling an appointment for professional cleaning, then using a whitening toothpaste between visits. You can also talk with our team about how to get a sparkling smile with over-the-counter teeth whitening kits.
If you’ve had restorative work on your front teeth and want a more brilliant smile, we’ll talk with you about whether veneers or bonding would be a solution.
- Veneers are thin layers of material that fit onto the front surface of your teeth.
- With bonding, we apply a small amount of resin to the surface of your teeth and seal it with light.
Remember, keeping your smile bright includes avoiding smoking or consuming large amounts of colored foods or drinks like coffee, tea, tomato juice, red wine, and dark grapes.
Are you ready to get the beautiful smile you deserve in 2020? Contact our office or call us at (434) 799-0120 to schedule your consultation for teeth whitening in Danville, VA.